South Sudan Internet Governance Forum 2022
It is with great pleasure that The Internet Governance Forum( IGF) South Sudan invites media houses in Juba to this year’s Internet Governance Forum (Conference).
The Internet Governance Forum is an open and inclusive multi-stakeholder forum where public policy issues related to key elements of Internet governance issues, such as the Internet’s sustainability, robustness, security, stability, and development are discussed to find solutions.
The theme for this year’s IGF is “Towards a holistic approach to Internet Governance in South Sudan: Consumer Rights, Competition, and universal access.”
At the annual IGF event, participants from academia, private sector, government, technical community and the civil society discuss exchange information and share good practices. The IGF helps to facilitate a common understanding of how to maximize Internet opportunities and address existent and foreseeable challenges through a bottom-up, multistakeholder, open, transparent, and inclusive manner.
Date: 23rd September 2022
Venue: Palm Africa Hotel
Time: 9 AM – 4PM C.A.T
For media comments contact:
The South Sudan Internet Governance Forum (IGF) is taking place on the 23rd September 2022.
The theme for this year’s IGF is “Towards a holistic approach to Internet Governance in South Sudan: Consumer Rights, Competition, and universal access”.
To be part of the participants, kindly submit your application using the link below
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Download concept note here
Submit a topic to be discussed during the IGF here
The first SS-IGF conference was held in March 2019 bringing together over 120 participants from various stakeholder groups under the theme “Realizing potential and creating opportunities”. This led to the publication of the first SS-IGF report (Download here ), which explored five thematic issues:
- Cyber Security and Data Protection
- Gender and Digital Divide
- Universal Access and the Universal Service Fund
- Community Networks
- Transparency and Access to Information
- Access to internet services;
- Digital protection and information security;
- Opportunities for various sectors in the use of internet
The report concluded that:
“The need to have a strong and robust broadband connectivity is very vital for the development of a country. This however, needs to also be accompanied with the development of an informed and knowledgeable public who are able to make use of the networks to develop their communities and country. The case for South Sudan needs the two elements cited above to be addressed. The country’s challenges of connectivity are inseparable from that of people’s development.
This first Internet Governance forum was a great avenue to address both challenges in an open and engaging discussion.
We have seen it and can attest to the fact that with multi-stakeholder engagement, South Sudan will be able to realize her connectivity potential and create opportunities for Her people using the internet.
The recommendations on this report are as good as the political will the stakeholders will put into it. The ideas shared here, need to be given keen attention and followed up with action for progress to be achieved.”
Since the last IGF, South Sudan has made several progress; some of which were as a direct recommendation from the IGF report with the following notable changes
- The launch of Dot (.SS) domain name with www.nca.gov.ss being the first official website to be hosted under the new domain name.
- The official launch of an electric grid that will lead to the electrification of Juba city and many other towns over the next few years.
- The National Communication Authority was appointed a new manager for the Universal Service Fund and have started the process of setting up the structure for operationalizing the fund.
- The launch of two mobile money services that offer their services to consumers in South Sudan.
- The launch of a fiber optic line that will lead to the increased connectivity in Juba and open their doors for digital inclusion and entrepreneurship
- South Sudan IGF sent two delegates to represent South Sudan in the global IGF in Berlin, November 2019. During the session South Sudan made a presentation on the internet and human rights.
Amidst these changes, SS-IGF sees a greater opportunity to increase access and include more South Sudanese in the knowledge economy. Such efforts need to be done in an inclusive manner to ensure all voices are heard and included in the process as well as the outcome of some of the major policies that will govern internet development in South Sudan. hence the theme “Towards a holistic approach to Internet Governance in South Sudan : Open Data, data protection, and universal access.”
South Sudan IGF 2020
The theme for this year’s IGF is “Towards a holistic approach to Internet Governance in South Sudan : Open Data, data protection, and universal access.”
This theme is a follow up to the first IGF with a realization that the need to include all voices is a necessity for progressing the discussion and making real changes on the ground.
This year’s program includes two main events:
- The South Sudan School of internet governance 2020 (SS-SIG)
- The South Sudan IGF Conference 2020.
The South Sudan School of internet governance 2020 (SS-SIG)
The South Sudan School of Internet governance is a 3-day training that focuses on teaching a select group of stakeholder the basics of internet governance, technical standards, and key policy emerging issues related to the internet development in South Sudan. The training is very competitive and selection is done based on set criteria by the IGF committee which looks at each application and evaluates its strength while looking at the diversity of the applicants and inclusion of under-represented groups. This year SS-IGF aims to have 30 participants who will undergo the School of internet governance and award certificates at the end of the training.
The South Sudan IGF Conference 2020.
This is the main conference event that will draw over 150 attendees from various stakeholder groups. It will have a one day full of discussions on main issues in regards to the year’s theme, and topics submitted by the stakeholders prior to the event. Last year some of the stakeholder groups in attendance included: members of parliament, CEO of the telecoms providers, directors from the national communication authority and the ministry of information..
The reporters from both programs will be published and made available on the South Sudan IGF website and the Global IGF website after the event.
To attend the South Sudan IGF conference clink here
The main outcome of the South Sudan Internet Governance Forum is to maximize opportunities for open and inclusive dialogue and the exchange of ideas on Internet Governance (IG) related issues. This includes but not limited to some of the items below.
- Creation of opportunities to share best practices and experiences;
- Identification of emerging issues of relevance for the community and bringing them to the attention of the relevant bodies and the general public.
- Contribution to capacity building for Internet governance in South Sudan.
- Establishment of new mechanisms and working groups to address some matters within a given timeframe.
The format of the Forum will include:
- Technical workshops
- Group discussion and sharing of case studies from other countries
- Presentation on the state of the Internet in South Sudan (Challenges and opportunities )
- Breakout sessions (Government, Technical community, & Civil Society )
- Moderated plenary discussions
How to partner with South Sudan IGF
- Provide financial support to help organize the event
- Provide in kind donation (venue, documentation, transport etc )
- Volunteer to be part of the event planning team.
- Become a panelist or a workshop speaker during the School of Internet governance
- Publicize the event and encourage people to sign up
Download concept note here
- ICT4D Network South Sudan
- National Communication Authority
South Sudan Internet Governance Forum
Realizing potential and creating opportunities.
+211 923 641 791
Mon – Fri : 08:00 – 17:00
Weekends & Public Hlidays : Closed